Total Pageviews

Monday, December 13, 2010

Say Yes to the Dress

A few weeks ago my wife, daughter and I were watching this popular reality wedding dress selection show--wow, what does that say about our society?--and I realized how little I remember about the high cost items at the weddings I've attended.  I could probably come up with some of the music:  "Here Comes the Bride", "YMCA", and perhaps an inebriated man channeling Frank Sinatra with a bad karaoke version of "New York, New York".  The food at the reception?  Not a chance, although I do remember that we had shrimp during the cocktail hour at my wedding.  Flowers, invitations, colors of cummerbunds and bridesmaids' dresses all are a blur.  And as for the most expensive item, the bridal dress, hey if I don't remember the food I sure don't remember that.


                                Reception, Ceremony, Lights




But, I do remember some of the words spoken over 25 years ago to the bride and groom by a priest.  He recalled the words of a popular song from the post-WWII era, "Little Things Mean A Lot", and advised that the big things in life like a major illness in a child draw the man and woman closer together.  However, little things like dirty socks that don't make it to the hamper can become the sand between the gears that spell doom.  Every day dirty socks.  On the floor.  Not in the hamper.  Crunch...grind...cough...sputter.


Another little thing can be that the couple speaks different love languages.  Looking for a good gift this Christmas season for a couple in your life?  Consider the Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  Compared to the cost of a wedding dress, it is a little thing, but it could allow a husband and wife or engaged couple to have a greater understanding of each other and keep the machine running.



No comments:

Post a Comment