Total Pageviews

Friday, December 24, 2010

...And the Third Wise (Wo)man brought a Mustard Seed.

  
Mustard.png



                      

     I know little about mustard.  I know that I like it on hot dogs and that there are spicy and mild types.  I also know that Jesus used the analogy of its small seed becoming a great bush to describe the kingdom of heaven.  I was reminded recently at how God can use seemingly small things to move in great ways.
     Donald Miller is one of my favorite authors.  His theme in his book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, is for us to live a better story: a life of significance.  He recently spoke at the university my daughter attends and passed out envelopes which contained small amounts of money to each student and challenged them to use the money to live a life of significance.  One young woman received five dollars.
     What could she do with this small mustard seed?  Drop it in the bucket of a sidewalk Santa?  Slip a bag of food from a fast food restaurant into the outstretched hand of a homeless person?  Nothing wrong with these options, but they really don't require much thought or effort.  And, they fail in the challenge to LIVE a life of significance.
     Our young friend reflected deeply on the challenge and bought a face painting kit, went to a town fair, and painted children's faces for a small fee.  As she painted she explained the challenge to the parents.  In one afternoon she multiplied the $5 to $465 which was donated to an organization which helps the disadvantaged members of our world!  And, more important, others saw the young woman LIVING a life of significance, and perhaps were motivated to live like that as well.  The little mustard seed became a great tree in which birds could perch.
    

1 comment:

  1. This book has me wondering what I'm going to do next, too. Examples like this help me keep my eyes open for inspiration

    -Craig

    ReplyDelete